By Priscilla Pittman, MSW, MA
Alzheimer’s Arkansas Programs and Services
- Slower processing of meds and alcohol
- Slower reflexes might impair driving
- After age of 30, metabolism slows about 2% each decade due to loss of muscle mass if we are not working on our muscle strength. The average American loses as much of 50% of their muscle mass b/w ages of 50-70 (www.johnhopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/nutrition_weight_control/1811-1)
- A good way to offset the changes in metabolism and loss of muscle mass is to reduce the calories consumed and increase physical activity.
- Exercise and weight training can help maintain muscle mass & it is also important to eat breakfast, lean protein, get sufficient sleep and move around more!!